Friday, August 07, 2009

MY TOP TEN JOHN HUGHES MOVIES

This is a tough list to narrow down to just ten, when you include films that John Hughes is credited as a writer, director or producer, but I will give it a try.

I start out with this caveat- I have never seen all of "Sixteen Candles" (despite the fact that it is part of my expansive DVD collection), in case you are wondering why that did not make the list.

TOP TEN:
1. Uncle Buck- John Candy at his best. The movie gets a little strange/dark near the end when Uncle Buck locks up the kid in the trunk, but that's a minor fault in this film. I am sure that I put this on the top of my list because I have often been compared to the title character (I am sure that is not always meant as a compliment, but I don't care).
2. Planes, Trains and Automobiles- Could have easily been #1 on my list, filled with great moments throughout. If my memory is correct, I saw this at the theatre in North Carolina at a time that I was homesick for Chicago and it did cause some trepidation when I was making travel plans home.
3. Vacation- classic.
4. Breakfast Club- maybe his most influential film.
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off- does a great job of showing off Chicago, including Wrigley on weekday afternoon and yeas- there was a time when you had weekday afternoon parades in Chicago. Sloane, what?- one of the top ten movie girlfriends of all time?
6. Only the Lonely- another great John Candy film (hard to believe that John Candy has been dead for 15 years!).
7. Weird Science- doesn't stand the test of time as well as some of the the others, but not many women looked as good as Kelly LeBrock ("Lisa") did when this movie came out!
8. Some Kind of Wonderful- personally like this movie better than "Pretty in Pink"
9. The Great Outdoors- Didn't care for this movie when it first come out. Now, if it is on TV, I have to watch the scene when John Candy eats the huge steak.
10. (tie)-Mr. Mom and She's Having a Baby- She's Having a Baby may be Hughes' most underrated film.

Honorable Mention- Sixteen Candles, Career Opportunities (bad movie except for Frank Whaley and a young and extremely well -endowed Jennifer Connelly), Christmas Vacation, Pretty in Pink and Home Alone

Did I miss any?

5 comments:

Al Swearengen said...

I liked your choice #s 4, 3, 5, and 2, in that order (but could pass on the rest). Each of those films are classics.

RKG said...

Didn't Hughes also direct the Thriller video? My recollection was that it caused a stir because it was originally considered for an Oscar as a film--- ultimately leading the Academy to a) disqualify movie videas, and b) create the short-fil catagory.

Anyone remember?

K said...

I believe that was John Landis.

Anonymous said...

Home Alone---good movie, all the sequals--BAD!

Badger

HM said...

Using your list:

PTA
Vacation
Home Alone
Buck (Candy's best, but not the overall film the first 3 were)
B Club
Great Outdoors
Wonderful
Christmas Vacation
Lonely
Weird