Friday, December 31, 2010

I Can't Complain About My 2010 Sports Year!

It's that time to reflect back and make feeble attempts at resolutions for the future. Well, sure I would have loved for all my sports teams to win championships, but 2010 certainly had its moments!
1. DUKE wins 4th NCAA Basketball title!!
April 6, 2010 started out with opening day for the White Sox. McLovin and I got to see Buerhle's defensive pay of the year and the Sox beat the Indians. But McLovin knew that I was getting nervous about a college basketball game that night. There are years as a Duke fan that I am optimistic about a national championship (1992, 2001- except when Boozer got injured in the Maryland game). But this was not one of them. If fact, I was still in some disbelief at the final buzzer as my phones started ringing (TEG letting out a scream of joy in my ear!)Duke was not ranked #1 at any point of the season. I don't care too much for ranking my favorite Duke national championship year, but this year with Zoubek stepping it up in a huge way, Scheyer washing away the sins of Greg Paulus, and Lance Thomas fitting the blue-collar role. All the Duke hate out there may add to the sweetness of #4! Without Kyrie Irving, I don't think that 2011 will bring #5, but I have been wrong before!
2. After 49 years, the Blackhawks bring Lord Stanley's Cup home! While not the biggest Blackhawks' fan in the world (I got to 3-4 games a season), this was a sweet ride for the entire city. A great season with certain players- Toews, Kane, Hossa and Duncan become stars in the City. Another great parade for the city and another reason to be proud and gloat.
3. White Sox- No postseason, but some great winning streaks during the year include 25-5 (if I recall correctly). And beating the Cubs in the Crosstown series (second year in a row) and finishing with a better record than the Cubbies is Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!
4. Da Bears- Let's ignore the 2009 season. After attending the Bears preseason loss to the Arizona Cardinals- I though this team would be lucky to finish 3rd in the division. NFC NORTH CHAMPIONS!!
5. BULLS- The future looks bright. D Rose is maturing into an annual All-Star and MVP consideration. Some good free agents signings (BOOZER!) and a return to the playoffs!!
Here's to more fun, enjoyment and championships in 2011!!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
6. How could I forget DUKE Lacrosse- National Champs, baby!!!!

No comments: