Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Don't Give Up! Don't Ever Give Up!!!



http://www.feinsteinonthebrink.com/index.php?id=6983248319856569646

Reading John Feinstein's blog today, I found out that today is the 17 year anniversary of Jimmy Valvano's death. I always recommend Feinstein's blog, but especially today.

Jimmy V was the life of the party, and in my humble opinion, a pretty good basketball coach. I was lucky enough to meet Coach Valvano at Kansas City airport during the Final Four. Couldn't have been nicer, and talk about charisma. He had just turned down the UCLA job to stay at NC State.

I can't remember a visiting coach enjoying his visits to Cameron as much as Jimmy V. I remember one game where Jimmy V paced was pacing the sidelines and the Cameron Crazies started chanting "Sit. Sit." So what did Valvano do, he sat down- right on the court.

But, of course, I will never forget watching his speech at the ESPYs, where Coach K and others had to help Valvano down the steps. If you can watch this speech without tearing up, I'm not sure what to say.

If you can, consider donating to the Jimmy V Foundation. But even if you can't, find time today to laugh, to cry , and to use your mind. And of course, in the words of Jimmy V:

"Don't Give Up! Don't Ever Give Up!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Daddy3dog says....Still the greatest speech of our generation.

K said...

Very inspiring.